[Advaita-l] mleccha-s not eligible to take Hinduism??

श्रीमल्ललितालालितः lalitaalaalitah at lalitaalaalitah.com
Wed Jun 27 00:35:00 CDT 2012

First of all thank you for a balanced reply.
Read further .... below....
*श्रीमल्ललितालालितः <http://www.lalitaalaalitah.com/>
lalitAlAlitaH <http://dooid.com/lalitaalaalitah>*

On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 7:19 AM, S L Shivashankar
<slshivashankar at gmail.com>wrote:

> And how to check whether the guru "knows enough about shAstra-s and is pure
> enough to stand steadfast in truth"? I guess this is a problem we all have
> to encounter, regardless of sampradaya or background. The inner qualities
> mentioned in Bhagavadgita chapter XIII are qualities that should be present
> in one´s guru.

You have correctly pointed this. That's why, because of this specific
limitation of people, I said that you must follow whatever you are doing
with faith and respect.
While doing this, I also advised to study more to know more to be clear in
future interactions.

> KAma certainly leads the judgement astray and hence distort the
> interpretation of shastras, that´s true. But should we really make claims
> that opinions different from our own are due to kAma, while our own
> interpretations are free from such defects?

That depends on study of scriptures and truthfulness of aspirant. Sticking
to scriptures in maximum extent is advisable to know these things.
On personal level, it all depends on you and your studies, etc.
You have right to put your view while giving chance to traditionals at the
same time. Then start thinking.

> There´s always an element of
> preconceptions and views coloured by time and context, also when trying to
> understand such things as dharma shastras. If not, why do traditional
> pandits end up with different interpretations?

Actually, vaidika-s, i.e. sanAtanI-s, hold that birth determines jAti. And
those who have specific jAti are allowed to get upanayana, gAyatrI and veda
at specific time. So, I don't see anything for outsiders in traditional
view.
In view of reformists, who are mixing their wish, karma determines it. And
in that way you are allowed to take these. These are non-traditionals.
So, traditionals have no difference on these issues.

Who to decide who´s
> interpretation is a complete and fully objective reflection of what the
> shastras really says?

You.
Because it's you life and you will be affected by it.
And we traditionalist decide it for you and us to save you and us from
going away from scriptures.

> Of course, a kAma-free interpretation (as far as that
> is possible) should be strived for.

This is not enough. Proper study is needed very much.

> > > Do you think that Dayananda would have got such an award if the
> Jagadguru
> > > and the Sringeri Matha thought that Dayananda and his disciples where
> > > heavily violating dharma?
> >

> > It is now a custom to ignore violations of shAstra-s by insiders of
> > hinduism, because in a way or other they are helping hindu community,
> > either by teaching world about us or by bringing money, etc.
> > Checking violators is now a dangerous thing and in many ways impractical.
> > It needs enough courage too.
> >

> Does this imply that you may consider the Sringeri Jagadguru and the
> Sringeri Matha such "insiders" who "ignore violations of ShAstra-s"?

It means many things.
First, they are not approving every thing of dayAnanda. So, they are not
erring.
Secondly, they are not keeping away from such people. So, they are
supporting wrong people in a way.
Both way it goes.

Once my friend told me that merely refraining from doing bad is not enough.
You must keep away from bad people too. Otherwise, you are supporting bad
people and hence deceiving those who are observing you to follow. Great
People have bigger responsibility.