[Advaita-l] Why should Brahman be without form or attributes?

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 00:48:41 CDT 2012

One quick answer is:  Anything saguna is within or related to the world.
Anything related to the world, like 'brahman is jagatkaranam, karma phala
daataa', etc. is only in the relative realm.  But the Aupanishadic brahman
whose realization is required for moksha cannot be in the relative realm.
It has to be Absolute.  The best explanation of this is in the seventh
mantra of the Mandukya upanishad.  All non-advaitic systems accept a
brahman as supreme who is eternally related to the world.  There is always
a sa-apeksha between brahman and the world.  Hence their moksha is also
only relative and not absolute.  That is one of the  main reasons why
nirguna brahman alone will ensure Advaita.

regards,
subrhmanian.v