[Advaita-l] Cotard Syndrome and Brahman Realisation

Sudhakar Kabra sudhakarkabra at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 10 08:26:37 CDT 2012

Dear Rajaramji,See reply inline below:

--- On Sat, 6/9/12, Rajaram Venkataramani <rajaramvenk at gmail.com> wrote:

From: Rajaram Venkataramani <rajaramvenk at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Advaita-l] Cotard Syndrome and Brahman Realisation
To: "A discussion group for Advaita Vedanta" <advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org>
Date: Saturday, June 9, 2012, 9:36 PM

>>Thank you for your comments. I dont think Brain = Intellect and Mind =
Manas is  correct as per Vedanta. Manas, Buddhi and Ahankara along with
karma and jnanendriyas belong to the sukshuma sarira. On birth, I think the
sukshuma sarira gets fused with the sthula sarira. This is what makes us
think that they are non-different because when the brain is damaged the
functions of the mind and intellect suffer.<<

Scientifically speaking neurological functions in brain in the form of electrical impulse occur when we are thinking. Spiritually speaking Intellect is the seat of thoughts. So why the physical part brain cannot be equated to the intellect.Do you have any other reasoning or logic?

>>I accept reincarnation as true because of the following reasons:

1. Belief in our traditions
2. Validity of astrological predictions rests on the theory of
reincarnation due to karma
3. Ian Stevenson's painstaking research done with high degree of integrity
shows that there are genuine cases of past life memories
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Stevenson

Reincarnation more than even out of body experience shows that mind is
distinct from body. Also, the logical difficulties brought out by Dr. Roger
Penrose with regard to the science of mind show that the simple assumptions
of modern science are unacceptable.<<
Quote from your previous mail:
///> I think the mind
is clearly distinct from the body (according to the sastras) as you said. I
don't quite understand Sri Vidyasankar's position  on mind - body connection. If his position is
that mind is distinct from the body but when in it remains in the body it is
totally connected as long as there is attachment, I can't agree more.///
///. If we accept
reincarnation based on such verbal testimony or sastras, then we need to accept
that mind is distinct from the body.///Unquote
So what is your final position? Is the mind is distinct from body or not??

 Jnani as sakshi is a witness.Sakshi bhava an occur only if you are
> disconnected.Mind cannot see the dysfunction of a sakshi but it is the
> other way around. Your comments welcome.sudhakar kabra
>

>To see, you need the jnanendiryas which belong to the sukshuma sarira.
A sakshi sees by its own light and does not require jnanendriyas to see.

>>The jivatma itself, without the indriyas, cannot see.
The jivatma does see without the indriyas as it occurs in deep sleep.

>>Hence, my assumption that the mind sees the brain or the sukshuma sarira disconnected from the sthula sarira sees the latter. The sakshi caitanya is one and for it to reveal, there has to be a medium, which is the sukshuma sarira of the jnani. I am happy to be corrected.
No medium is required far sakshi to reveal itself. Sakshat eekshyate iti sakshi says the scripture.
Comments welcomeSudhakar kabra

.