[Advaita-l] Holenarsipur Swamiji's remarks and why even Avidya is not necessary for Advaita

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 23:21:40 CST 2012

Namaste Sri Rajaram

Many people here will not agree your saying-

> we know Sankara better than
> he could have because we can learn all of his writings but at any any point
> in time, he only knew what he wrote until then but not after. So, his
> opinions are based on an incomplete knowledge of his own writings.
I have said Adi Sankara is the greatest Vedantin. There was not and
will not be another like him. Na Bhuto Na Bhavishyati. But I am trying
to say we can change his teachings for our time. In his time there was
requirement to teach in one way. We are still following Advaita. But
in our day we have to see there is a better way to teach the same
thing. Padmapada and Vachaspati Mishra taught Advaita in a different
way. Vidyaranya taught in different way. Mayavada was useful in
debates with Dvaitis, Visistadvaitis and others. It is highly negative
approach and fit to be used in debates. Today we are not arguing with
Dvaitis. We are getting married to them. Some Dvaiti Swami may say
something about Advaita but nobody cares.

What is the role of Mayavada now? It is like driving a military tank
to the office everyday. It is heavy. We cannot use it. We have to use
a small simple civilian vehicle.  It is pure Brahmavada. Brahman is
One and everything is Brahman.

--
Regards

-Venkatesh