[Advaita-l] Holenarsipur Swamiji's remarks and why even Avidya is not necessary for Advaita

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 27 22:15:14 CST 2012

Dear Kalyanji,

To see things properly we need to have the proper equipment. A person with bad eyesight needs specs for reading . Minute things cannot be seen unless a microscope is used. However for looking at bacteria in water even a regular high-power microscope is not good enough and one has to use an electron microscope or a stereomicroscope. One has to be properly equipped, (whether physically and mentally as needed) to see things properly. To teach advaita to a dvaitin, in a sort of duel, is not that easy and it may not be due to the deficiency of the advaita teacher alone. it could be difficult if the dvaita student is also not equipped enough to understand the advaita. The prakriti dances to amuse you but when you are no longer interested in enjoying her dance she stops her dance before you and you become an advaitin in practice. That does not mean that she (the prakriti) will stop her dance before the others, who are still dvaitin. The advaitin knows this and
 through Svadhyaya and Yoga he or she wants to withdraw from seeing prakriti's dance. However the dvaitin will think that even if he or she withdraws, the prakriti will go on dancing and therefore there  is no use of withdrawing.as one cannot stop the prakriti from dancing before others.  As no example is ever perfect this example may also not be perfect. This may be considered as a small effort to say that dvaitin will need to be prepared for a paradigm change of thinking and understanding.

Regards,

Sunil KB