[Advaita-l] Parameshti and nasadiya sukta

Kalyan K kalyankc.81 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 02:05:28 CST 2012

Dear Sri Jaldhar,

>ParameShTi in the bhAShyas and anukramaNikAs (the vedA~Nga dealing with the
>R^iShis, Devatas, and chhandas of each mantra) refers to prajApati (i.e.
>brahma) not paramAtma.

My first instinct was to object to the above, based on wilson's
translation. But then I checked the original sanskrit source, and realized
that you are correct. The original specifically mentions - "parameshTI nAma
prajApatih rishih" with respect to this sUktam.  The lesson for me is that
translations should always be verified.

>The nAsadIya sUkta is usually presented as the textbook example of a
>purported Vedic agnosticism.  "Who knows and who can say it?" But kA is
>also a name of Brahma.  "Brahma knows and Brahma can say it." puts a
>completely different spin on it.

In that case, how will you explain - "yadi vA dadhe yadi vA na" and
"sah anga veda yadi vA na veda" that occur in 10.129.7? If kA is to be
read as brahma, then how will these make sense?

Regards

Kalyan