[Advaita-l] Is the concept of maya essential to explain advaita?

Rajaram Venkataramani rajaramvenk at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 09:01:37 CST 2012

On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 6:23 PM, Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar at braincells.com>wrote:

> The concept of maya is essential to explain _dvaita_.  It is all very well
> to say that "All is Brahman"  but if it is to be more than a slogan, it
> must be explained why our everyday experience is multiplicity not oneness.

Rajaram: I see the merit of this argument. But Shri R. Balasubramanian says
that it is not required. He is not saying that in an academic publication
but as a foreword to a book by a traditional mutt (Shakatapuram). So, I am
not able to discount his point of view that Sri Totakacharya does not use
the concepts of Maya and Avidya in Srutisamuddharana to teach Advaita. It
is for the same reason that though I respect Shri Srubrahmanian's opinion,
I am not able to discount the opinion of Shri R. Balasubramanian based on
the former's quick analysis of a couple of verses.

Note: My opinion is not that maya or avidya concept is not required. I am
trying to determine whether it is an useful tool or an essential tool.