[Advaita-l] Is the concept of maya essential to explain advaita?

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Fri Jan 20 06:37:39 CST 2012

“mAyA-mAtraM idaM vishvaM pashyan vigata kautukaH”

praNAms
Hare Krishna

mayAntu prakrutiM vidyAt mAyinantu maheshwaraM, says shruti.  daivee
hyeshA guNamayI mama mAyA duratyayA says lord in geeta..I dont know why we
should lend our ears to someone who questions the importance of certain
concepts in advaita when shruti, smruti, paramAchArya taken these concepts
(mAyA, avidyA etc.) to educate us world phenomena!!  na hi tayA (mAyA)
vinA parameshwarasya srushtatvaM siddhyatiH shakti rahitasya tasya
pravruttyanupapatteH clarifies shankara in sUtra bhAshya 1.4.3.

If these prabhuji-s are not comfortable with these terminologies, and
thinking that these concepts are doing harm to advaita vedAnta, let them
teach their own veda, advaita without using these terminologies.   I hope
nobody is stopping them from doing this service to adhyAtmika prapancha.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar