[Advaita-l] Analysis of attributes and their locus

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Tue Jan 3 06:34:04 CST 2012

praNAms Sri Venkatesh prabhuji
Hare Krishna

Namaste

If you read Dharma Sastra books you can see Gruhastha has to work for
couple of hours per day to maintain his family.

>  I am interested to see the particular reference in dharma shAstra
kindly help.

He has to earn only enough wealth for maintenance of family and others
like Sannyasis
depending on him and not more. But nowadays people want to earn more and
more and are not satisfied. How can they get Mumukshutva?

>  I agree with this..But I dont think 'middle-class' can be spared from
this..Because they too have their own commitments & obligations.  Just
sharing the practical life problem of the middle class family..mine is one
of those middle class families :-))

How many rich people you know are like Buddha and renouncing wealth?
99.9999% of them are greedy and want more and more. They avoid taxes
very cleverly even if they are rich. They are in a mad race to get
richer and richer all the time. The material desires are never ending.
How can they get Mumukshutva?

> I humbly think, this is just one side of the story...If we see the
bygone history & mythological  characters, they are all kings (rich) but
they are religious & mahAjnAni-s as well...I think, even in current
scenario, when the rich people reach the saturation point, they
automatically turn towards adhyAtmika sAdhana.  And again this 'adhyAtmika
vAsana/mumukshatva' is not anyway restricted to some particular crowd of
the society.

The very poor people are also thinking of small material possessions
and dreaming of becoming rich one day. They are struggling to get
daily minimum needs. How can they get Mumukshutva?

The middle class is the best class because they have enough comforts
for daily life. They don't have to dream of becoming rich. They can
get Mumukshutva more easily than the other two.

>  vidhura, kuchela, kannappa, rAghavendra mahAswamy, paramahaMsa etc.
were poor but had abundant mumukshatva, dhruva, prahlAda, vibhishaNa,
bali, janaka mahArAja, yudhishtira  etc. were kings & rich and they too
were adhyAtmika sAdhaka-s & had great mumukshatva..but I hardly see an
appropriate example from a middle class family :-)) On a lighter vein, a
middle class gruhastAshramite yAjnAvalkya went after the gift offered by
janaka to maintain his family with two wives :-))

>  I think most of the people like me, who have middle class life style,
not ready to sacrifice our material comforts for the sake of
mumukshatva...A struggle is always on for the material betterment but
parallelly there is some adhyAtmikata in our lives.  That's it.  A middle
class family sAdhaka is the balanced blend of both rAma & kAma :-))

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar