[Advaita-l] ’upAsana' and 'bhakti'

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Wed Feb 29 12:24:18 CST 2012

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 7:53 PM, Satish Arigela <satisharigela at yahoo.com>wrote:

> "The nature of this distinction is suggested by the tradition of mImAmasa
> in sutra 9.1.9:
> ” api vA shabda-pUrvatvAdyaGYana-karma pradhAnaM syAd-guNatve
> devatA-shrutiH “
> The great ritualist-scholar shabara svamin explains this sUtra:
> “The
>  deity and the offering are both accomplished entities, while the act of
>  ritual is what is to be accomplished.

You are completely off the track by quoting this unrelated text.

> So anyone who holds that deities really possess hands and limbs or real
> forms should be considered as shruti bAhya or veda bAhya.

This again proves your complete misunderstanding of what I have said.  I am
sorry your labor is in vain.

> That is because your interaction as I suspected and pointed out earlier is
> limited to people belonging to only one tradition or traditions based on
> bhakti.
> These people that you have seen are not true representatives of mantra
> shAstra.  It is as simple as that.

You are again wrong.  I have not based my position on bhakti traditions.
It is a pity you could not even identify what I am discussing.

> To summarize your response: It is simply an UN-necessary mix up of issues
> arising from an improper understanding of the position of veda on deities
> and rituals and also due to limited or lack of exposure to any genuine
> mantra shAstra traditions. These lead you to to the improper and false
> equation.

I would have appreciated your lengthy response if it had contained even a
bit of Vedanta as taught by Shankara.  It is this we are discussing and
bringing in everything unrelated to Vedanta is simply a waste of time of
the members of this List.

Regards,
subrahmanian.v