[Advaita-l] Madhusudhana Saraswathi and Advaita.

Rajaram Venkataramani rajaramvenk at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 07:58:38 CST 2012

On Monday, February 27, 2012, Satish Arigela

> >you cannot perform Upasana without Bhakti.
>
> Yes you can! I am not theorizing something here. I am only telling what I
> have studied and also seen.
>
> Broaden your study , remove earlier assumptions about upAsana and closely
> observe people who practice this stuff and you will eventually see that
> upAsana and bhakti are two different things.
>
> Please show scriptural references or the works of acharyas to substantiate
> your doctrine of difference. Sri Subrahmanian has posted on why Bhakti and
> Upasana are non-different. And why upasana can only be an expression of
> bhakti. Of course, para Bhakti is non-different from jnana.

As per my understanding, the following is the scheme.

Karma = Manogati (level 1)
Sadhana Bhakti = Manogati (Level 2)
Upasana = Manogati (Level 3)
Sthayi Bhava Bhakti = Manovrtti (Level 4)
Siddha Upasana = Manovrtti (Level 4)
Para Bhakti (Realization of Gopalaham) = jnana (Level 5)

Manogati is flow of mind whereas Manovrtti is permanent modification. It is
like temporary and permanent tattoo on the body.