[Advaita-l] Madhusudhana Saraswathi and Advaita.

Satish Arigela satisharigela at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 27 00:05:14 CST 2012

> << Gaudapada's source of the concept of upasana is Upanishads, which has
> the
> term bhakti. Also, how can you do Upasana without Bhakti?>>

Why not!? Why do you need bhakti[I am specifically referring to the dancing and jumping kind propounded by bhakti mArga types] to perform upAsana?

I am aware of later day statements like "bhaktimAn upAsIta.. etc etc" But that is what they are i.e. later day statements.

I have personally have seen upAsaka-s who have reached great heights... and they are not the bhakti-type people. They have a rather neutral attitude towards bhakti mArga or in some extreme cases they just laugh at all this bhakti stuff...especially the display and bhakti emotions.

There is another opinion. It is true that there cannot be upAsana without bhakti...but what is bhakti? **"manave aNavaH bhaktiH..." i.e. the indivisible fragments of a manu i.e. mantra are called bhakti-s. Like for example the words hili hili etc that can be found in some very ancient vaiShNava mantra-s. So here the word fragment "hili" is called bhakti. Since mantra japa is a very important part of upAsana and since mantra-s are comprised of bhakti-s, upAsana with out bhakti is not possible.

bhakti here does not mean jumping and dancing saying a name or anything to do with the emotional display of love towards some anthropomorphic form. This kind of stuff sounds more like something the Christians would do.. along with the belief that one would go to an imaginary loka after death.

** I quote this memory.. so the grammar could be wrong.. but you get the drift I am sure.