[Advaita-l] Madhusudana Saraswati

Rajaram Venkataramani rajaramvenk at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 15:48:38 CST 2012

Madhusudana's scholarship was established with his first work Samkshepa
SAriraka Sara . It is grossly incorrect to say he did not initially
understand Advaita or even that he might not have. His views on Bhakti are
same in GDD and BhR. So, you are establishing nothing by arguing that AS is
later than BhR. Please read at least introduction to GDD and 18.66.

You are wrong if you say that according to Dr. Sanjukta AS is not before
BhR. Let me quote from her book The Philosophy of Madhusudana, "As the
ideas and often the language used here (Mahimah stotra tika) resemble that
of the Advaita Siddhi, it's date of composition may be placed somewhere
near the time of the Advaita Siddhi, and probably preceding Bhakti
Rasayana". She places both AS and MST before BhR.

If you say he took ideas from the gosvamis, then you should say he is
dishonest for not giving credit where it is due. He does not mention
gosvamis at all. I subscribe to the less popular theory that he is from
south India.

I will not write further on this unless you either teach something of value
or learn.