[Advaita-l] Prapatti

Rajaram Venkataramani rajaramvenk at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 00:12:22 CST 2012

Thanks. I don't think I can logically disagree with any thing you said.

But though Sankara did not most probably write the slokas attributed to
him, they were definitely written by renown Sankarites. In
Pandurangashtakam, the phala sruti says vaikuntha prapti. Sringeri periyava
quotes a verse where a devotee says "I have not offered namaskarams to you
in previous lives and cannot in future lives because I have done so now."
There are countless such statements. Why they should be taken as eulogy and
not as literally true?

Let vishishtadvaitam be philosophically inaccurate but if prappatti is a
valid vedic karma that can grant vaikuntha at the end of this life itself,
why not? It seems logical to first go to Vishnu and then realise His
nirguna svabhava if He insists. Apart from simplicity, this approach also
satisfies one's curiosity to know His infinite attributes in a state of
bliss.