[Advaita-l] Madhusudana Saraswati

Rajaram Venkataramani rajaramvenk at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 23:39:41 CST 2012

The onus of proving Madhusudana was influenced by gaudiya vaishnavism is on
you. You are asking me to prove that he was not. Anyone who has basic
understanding of proof will say it is silly. If a policeman stopped you and
asked you to prove that you are not driving under the influence of alcohol,
what will you say? Anyway, like I said there is no literary evidence and it
is highly improbable that Madhusudana will hide his greatest influence.

GDD clearly says Bhakti is he goal of jeans (e.g. 18.66) and treats BhR as
an authority in 3 places. GDD was definitely later than Advaita Siddhi,
there is no reason to reject his views on bhakti. So, even if you can prove
that Advaita Siddhi was later than BhR, it will not serve any purpose. But
it was not. You have not comprehended what Prof. Sanjukta says. She places
Vedanta Kalpa Latika and Advaita Siddhi around the same time before BhR.

Dating of texts and biographies are not absolute facts but there is no
reason to say that "he did not understand" or "he might not have". For that
you take his position and show it is incorrect according to earlier
writers.