[Advaita-l] Fw: Bhakti and Jnana

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Sat Feb 18 22:46:20 CST 2012

On Sat, 18 Feb 2012, Sunil Bhattacharjya wrote:

> Are you aware of Mahapurush Sankardeva, the great Assamese Advaitin
> Vaishnavite saint of that time, who wrote many works including the
> Bhakti Ratnakar?

I have heard of him but I'm not familiar with his teachings certainly not
that he was an Advaitin.  What makes you say that?

> There was also another saint Vishupuri sanyashi of
> varanasi at that time.  who wrote Bhakti Ratnavali.

Varanasi is considerably far away from Navadvipa.

> To tell you the fact
> that at time the entire North-east India was Charged with Vaishnava
> movement, both Advaitic and Bheda-Bheda. Any assessment of the thoughts
> of that time has to recognize all these influences.

I thought you are making a stronger claim, namely that MS was
doctrinally influenced by the Gaudiya school.  To say that there was
merely a vaishnavish background is another thing.