[Advaita-l] Accepting Possibility of Error in Sastras

sriram srirudra at vsnl.com
Mon Dec 31 05:45:34 CST 2012

Dear
It is fully true that the earth not only moves around the sun but also turns
around its axis thus creating day and night whose duration variations are
because of the tilt in the axis of rotation coupled with the position of the
earth in the orbit in which it journeys around the sun.I dont think our
scriptures have ever denied this aspect.They have been saying day and night
are created by sun who is also responsible for the seasons.Perhaps what you
are not able to reconcile is certain portions of the shruthi which talks
about astronomical phenomena like grahanam,appearance of comets,planets
movements across the sky and diseases which afflict humans from time to time
etc does not give logical reasons  for such phenomena  and its suggested
remedies donot work always.The stock reply is -from your point of view -one
should have faith.Attempts have been made by scholars to explain the logic
behind all these and it is going on.My point is it is all personal
problems.You have to reconcile science and shastra by proper enquiry and
deep study.If you feel that science is correct in certain matters accept it
and passon.There is no point in telling shastras are found wanting.Or if you
are a die hard vedantist stick to its prescription and move on.Like some
Christian groups-Penta costsI think they never go to a doctor for any
illness.-.It is your life and you have to take care of  it according to your
intellectual capacity.Nobody can answer all the questions to your
satisfaction is my view.You have to find the answers using science or
vedantha.Both are correct in their own spheres.Truth is a truth is
truth.R.Krishnamoorthy.