[Advaita-l] Accepting Error

ramesam vemuri ramesamvijaya at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 30 19:05:05 CST 2012

* This can be even more appreciated in the case of a
scientist by profession believing or accepting or appreciating the
discoveries of science who can also be an Advaitin.  His appreciating
science will never come in the way of his Advaitic
understanding/realization. -- V Subrahmanian *

Excellently expressed.  Thank you, Sir.

In fact, the Quest in Science and Advaita is the same --  to arrive at the Ultimate Truth.

(Please see: http://www.advaita-academy.org/blogs/ramesam/The-Quest-in-Science-and-Advaita.ashx
and also the PowerPoint "Inquiry in Science and Vedanta" at: http://beyond-advaita.blogspot.com/  )

Both the groups, Vedantins and Scientists, are deeply aware of the possible errors that could occur in their deductive and inductive logic at every stage - from observation to drawing inference.

Science is not a dry laundry list of statements. It is like 'breaking story."  It is an Upanishad in devlopment.
It is an inestigative methodology.

Carlo Rovelli (Author of the Book: The First Scientist):
* ..... scientific thinking
is not limited to the confidence in observation (Francis Bacon) or rationality (Descartes), or restricted to
truths that are verifiable (positivism) or falsifiable (Popper). Nor is science
restricted to its predictions, to constructing models for classes of phenomena,
or to providing certain (“scientifically demonstrated”) knowledge. Real science
is more than all this. ......  The source of the strength of scientific thinking lies not in the
certainties it reaches but, quite the opposite, in a radical awareness of their
provisional character and of the vastness of our ignorance. This awareness
allows us to keep questioning our own knowledge, and therefore to continue
learning. *
Lisa Randall (Author of the Book: Knocking at Heaven's Door):
* Science
certainly is not the static statement of universal laws we all hear about in
elementary school. Nor is it a set of arbitrary rules. Science is an evolving
body of knowledge. Many of the ideas we are currently in­vestigating will prove
to be wrong or incomplete. Scientific descriptions certainly change as we cross
the boundaries that circumscribe what we know and venture into more remote
territory where we can glimpse hints of the deeper truths beyond. ....  The
paradox scientists have to contend with is that, while aiming for permanence,
we often investigate ideas that experimental data or bet­ter understanding will
force us to modify or discard. The sound core of knowledge that has been tested
and relied on is always surrounded by an amorphous boundary of uncertainties
that are the domain of current research. The ideas and suggestions that excite
us today will soon be forgotten if they are invalidated by more persuasive or
comprehensive experimental work tomorrow.     *

From: V Subrahmanian <v.subrahmanian at gmail.com>
 Subject: Re: [Advaita-l] Accepting Possibility of Error in Sastras

I had mentioned recently that the details about creation, the world,
loka-s, etc. have no more value than chitta shuddhi and are primarily aimed
at showing a certain entity, Brahman, as the jagat-kAraNam.