[Advaita-l] Idol worship question

sriram srirudra at vsnl.com
Wed Dec 26 02:59:59 CST 2012

Dear
The idol is fit for worship after doing avahanam of the deity you want to
invoke  in it.In Krishna Idol the image of Sri Krishna as we know it ,is
already visible and so after avahanam -asmin bimbe Sri Krishnam
avahayami-reciting this we do argyam,padhyam archanam etc as if a full
blooded person has come to our house in the pooja room.Then we send Him
off.Any stone can be used.Once it is treated as your deity you do all
respects to it.Infact the entire creation is Brahman based.But just to pay
our respects we do this pooja restricting the Brahman to the deity.We can
even invoke Brahman on oneself .In Srardham the priest sometimes will
represent Brahman.So there is nothing wrong in invocation of the omnipresent
in our convenient substances and do the pooja.What is Pooja?It is just a
thanks giving ceremony for the benefits we automatically derive as a human
being.Nirguna Brahman is difficult to conceive.If you read Bhagavad Gita Sri
Krishna clarifies to Sri Arjuna about these aspects of Brahman and which is
easy/better.I donot know how suddenly this idol worship topic  has surfaced
given the facts we are accustomed to this from day one of our
birth.R.Krishnamoorthy.