[Advaita-l] jivas' abode during deep sleep/praLaya

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 10:45:08 CST 2012

Hari Om, Subbuji,

Its surely a good coincidence that I was just debating this since the past
few days with someone out here. To my surprise, today we visited this exact
reference of Bhagavatpada's bhAShya, but as I remember this bhAshya occurs
at 2nd Karika after 6th Mandukya mantra, not 2nd mantra itself. (This is
meant only FYI for those wanting to refer to Sw.Gambhirananda's
translation).

Bhagavatpada does say here that it is not the seedless brahman that is
meant, but the unmanifested, quoting two doshas that would accrue if it
were to be the seedless brahman that the jIva merges into during suShupti.
However, in his bhAShya on Brahma Sutra 1.4.18, he says the following:
<ÊiÉ SÉ ºÉÖ¹ÉÖÎ{iÉEòɱÉä SÉ {É®äúhÉ ¥ÉÀhÉÉ VÉÒ´É BEòiÉÉÆ MÉSUôÊiÉ | Sw.
Gambhirananda translates pareNa brahman as Supreme Self, while some other
book quotes this as highest brahman. Could you pls explain how these two
bhAShyA-s seemingly different mean the same thing? In other words, how is
avyAkRta same as pareNa brahman?

dhanyo'smi,
--Praveen R. Bhat
[Br.Up. 4.5.15] */