[Advaita-l] Advaita and Islam

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 19:24:58 CST 2012

In connection with what Sri Vidyasankar has said here, we can cite several
instances from the lives of the Jagadguru-s of the Sringeri and perhaps the
Kanchi ShankaraachArya. One can read them in the publications of these
Mutts.

When a Christian wanted to convert to Hinduism, Sri Chandrashekhara Bharati
SwaminaH asked him to get back to his religion and seek proper guidance and
thereby ensure his emanicipation in that system itself.  This shows that
the ShankarAchArya did not hold Christianity to be adhArmic or
non-mokShaprada.

Sri Abhinava Vidyatirtha SwamigaL had saved up a few (precious) stones
given to Him by a Muslim returning from the Haj pilgrimage.  When decades
later a Muslim came to Him the Acharya gave those stones to him which he
received with all gratitude and reverence.  That shows that the Acharya did
not find such practices of cherishing memorablia by Muslims a  worthless
activity.

A Muslim who was childless for several years was blessed with progeny by
the Acharya's special benediction. He remained ever grateful for this
favor.

These are just representative incidents.

regards
subrahmanian.v