[Advaita-l] Vikalpa, Savikalpa, and Nirvikalpa

vinayaka ns brahmavadin at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 05:25:43 CDT 2012

2012/8/22 श्रीमल्ललितालालितः <lalitaalaalitah at gmail.com>

> *श्रीमल्ललितालालितः <http://www.lalitaalaalitah.com>
> lalitAlAlitaH <http://dooid.com/lalitaalaalitah>*
>

> I don't see word nirvikalpa in pa~nchadashI. So, adding nirvikalpa by you
> is not correct.

=======================

Namaste.

I have not coined the word nirvikalpa. It is consistently used by the
popular vEdAntic treatises like vEdAntasAra, vivEkachUDAmaNi, sarvavEdAnta
sAra samgraha etc.

For Ex:

823. That stage of awareness is known as the nirvikalpa samadhi, in
which after having cast off the idea that one is the knower, one
firmaly established in that on which one contemplates.
 (sarvavEdAnta sAra samgraha )

What does vidyAraNya say?

55. When the mind gradually leaves off the ideas of the meditator and the
act of meditation and is merged in the sole object of meditation. (viz.,
the Self), and is steady like the flame of a lamp in a breezeless spot, it
is called the super-conscious state (samadhi).

Hence my usage of the term is not improper. It is also used by the AchAryas
of Sringeri Math. If you  feel that vidyAraNya is talking about some other
samAdhi different from the nirvikalpa samAdhi please let us know about it.

You have used the term nirvikalpa samAdhi and say that there is no vritti
in it. May we know from where did you get this name and definition?

I had asked you about the akhaNDAkAra vritti and nirvikalpa samAdhi, please
read the following words of Swami Abhinava Vidhyatheertha who was a
sampradAya AchArya and an adept yOgi too.

Disciple: Will one's breathing completely stop when one attains nirvikalpa
samAdhi?

AchArya: No, breathing persists to a small extent.

D: What is the characteristic of nirvikalpa samAdhi?

A: The absence of awareness of the distinction of the seer, the seen and
the act of seeing is indeed its special characteristic. The Atman is
clearly perceived. Further, supreme bliss is experienced.

D: Will there be positive experience of supreme bliss in nirvikalpa samAdhi
or is there merely the absence of sorrow?

A: There is not only the absence of sorrow but also the attainment of
supreme bliss. Even is jada-samAdhi the bliss of Atman is experienced but
to a much lower degree.

D: I heard that akhaNDAkAra vritti is persent in nirvikalpa samAdhi.
AchAryal said that there is no awareness of the distinctness of the seer,
the seen and the act of seein in nirvikalpa samAdhi. If so, will the
knowledge of akhaNDAkAra vritti be there in samAdhi?

(Pub. Note: akhaNDAkAra vritti is a plenary mental activity having Atman
for the object)