[Advaita-l] Sri SSS Discussions

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 11:13:30 CDT 2012

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 9:51 AM, Bhaskar YR <bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com> wrote:

> praNAms
> Hare Krishna
>
> IMHO, this is somewhat a sweeping statement without completely verifying
> Sri SSS stand.  Sri SSS himself in vedAntins' meet (published by
> kAryalaya, it's a collection of objections raised on the  VPP, MVN, sugama
> by other advaita scholars   and the reply to those objections  by Sri SSS)
>  explains comprehensively how his stand differs from that of Sri Nagesha
> bhatta.  Infact Sri SSS raises some objections to Sri Nagesha bhatta's
> stance.
>
> Moreover, if we say whoever opposes the views of later Achartyas (
> vyAkhyAnakAra-s in vivaraNa & bhAmati) have been influenced by nagesha &
> vijnAna bhikshu, we have to say the popular advaita teachers of advaita
> vedAnta from Arsha vidyA (like dayAnanda saraswati, paramArthananda,
> Michel comans etc.) too have been influenced by vijnAna bhikshu's vAda or
> some other advaita vedAntin's vAda (who ofcourse naturally follows
> shankara/advaita) since they are against to the mandatory requirement of
> 'nirvikalpa samAdhi' anubhava in advaita vedAnta.
>
> IMO, to keep this proposed discussion more objective, participants have to
> desist themselves from judging who influenced by whom etc. let them focus
> their discussion on the philosophical stand and related matters.  Hope
> everyone would agree to this.

I am in agreement with this.  In the post-Shankara scenario other schools
such as vishishtadvaita and dvaita have charged that Advaita is influenced
by Bauddha thought.  This they did since they felt that the Upanishads do
not naturally give rise to the kind of Advaita that Shankara established.
It fell upon the shoulders of Advaitins to refute this charge.  In the same
way Polagam Rama Sastry has shown that those who oppose mUlAvidyA, etc. are
influenced by some 'thought' that has existed for long.  There is also a
view that Vedanta thought is influenced strongly by the sAnkhya thought.
In all these cases it is pertinent to note that no one has said that one
thought has 'totally' influenced the other; there are 'partial' agreements
between two systems.  Such instances are what are highlighted.

subrahmanian.v