[Advaita-l] Three guNa-s

Shrinivas Gadkari sgadkari2001 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 16 07:12:09 CDT 2012

Namaste,

I received a query regarding a post on three guNa-s I had posted 10 years ago:
http://www.advaita-vedanta.org/archives/advaita-l/2002-December/004207.html

Here is a renewed attempt to explain the three guNa-s: List members are
requested to add to this as appropriate.

Three primary potencies - shakti-s of the nirguNa brahma or uttama
puruSa are: jnAna, iccha and kriyA. In a jIva an indirect version
of these are operating in prajnA (buddhi), mana and prANa respectively.

At the boundary of nirguNa and saguNa resides Adi-mAtA/ Adi-mAyA/
parameshvarI. Two primary mechanisms of parameshvarI are : AvaraNa
(veiling, hiding) and viksepa (projection) shakti-s.

sattva guNa is characterized by AvaraNa over iccha shakti and other two
shakti-s acting through vikSepa.

raja guNa is characterized by AvaraNa over jnAna shakti and other two
shakti-s acting through vikSepa.

tama guNa is characterized by AvaraNa over kriyA shakti and other two
shakti-s acting through vikSepa.

Corrections welcome.

Regards,
Shrinivas