[Advaita-l] Imagined Nature of Root Ignorance in Vivaranam

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Thu Aug 16 03:41:18 CDT 2012

According to some, in deep sleep only the AvaraNa aspect of mAya operates

praNAms Sri Sarma prabhuji
Hare Krishna

Unfortunately there is no shankara bhAshya support for this statement.
Since this state is an objectless state and the jeeva here is sarvOpAdhi
vinirmukta, there is no posibility for the mAya to exercise her AvaraNa
power.  Why we dont see anything in the dreamless deep sleep state??  It
can not be  due to mayA's concealing power as there is no objects in that
state, no question of concealing it by maya, OTOH,   it is because,
shankara says yadvai tanna pashyati pashyan vai tanna pashyati na hi
drashturdrushterviparilOpO vidyatevinAshitvAt.  Here in this state, jeeva
is ekibhUta, prajnAna ghana hence does not 'see' anything.   However, from
the other stand point we have to say jeeva enters sushupti without the
knowledge of his svarUpa (jnAnAbhAva) hence suffers from jnAnAbhAva in
sushupti and jnAnAbhAva, anyathAgrahaNa (vipareeta jnAna), saMshaya in
jAgrat avastha.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar