[Advaita-l] Interesting info on Krishnaashtami day.

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 00:51:10 CDT 2012

On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 10:44 AM, Rajaram Venkataramani <
rajaramvenk at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sri Raja Sastrigal mentioned in this article is associated with both Kanchi
> and Sringeri mutts. He runs a Veda Patashala blessed by Sringeri Mutt.

What is more important is whether the Sringeri Acharya approves Sri Raja
Sastrigal's activities.  The mutt might have blessed the Pathashala when it
was started.  Unless it is administered by the Sringeri Mutt there is no
control by the Mutt on the activities of such Pathashalas.  In the
circumstances it would be wrong to take the name of Sringeri or Kanchi to
endorse such acts.

Sometime back a person had asked me personally whether women and foreigners
were allowed to study the VyAkaraNa Shastra since it is a VedAnga.  I
checked with a very senior scholar of that shastra and he said that the
VyakaraNa shastra itself says that it deals with both Vaidika AND loukika
shabda prayoga-s and hence there is no bar on 'others' studying it.

> He also protects over 50 cows. He does anna dhanam for hundreds almost
> every
> day. He is a very accomplished sastrigal and a Sama Vedin. Both his sons
> are dedicated to vaidhika dharma. He has visited Italy before to guide
> these people. On the flip side, my parents complain of the decline in
> standard of commitment to ritualistic procedure compared to his
> predecessors such as Patta Sastrigal.
>
> As I said in the other thread, we should sincerely answer how Gautama
> figured out Satyakama's gotra, sutra and sakha after accepting him as a
> brahmana based on his guna of speaking only the truth even if it means loss
> of opportunity.

For this curiosity of yours you must address a letter to the Sringeri
Jagadguru and seek a reply.

regards
subrahmanian.v