[Advaita-l] Ishwara's status in Advaita - A clarification

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 11:49:17 CDT 2012

Some days ago, I had mentioned in this forum about my interaction with the
renowned scholar Dr.Mani Dravid SastrigaL of Chennai on the topic of the
status of Iswara in Advaita.  In this connection I had also said this:

//Sometime back you (addressed to Shri Rajaram Venkataramani) said
Shri Devanathan was a longtime student of Dr.Mani Dravid sastrigaL and
sought to show that he represented the eminent scholar's views.
Subsequently I checked with Sastrigal and he categorically said 'there
is no room for the thinking in Advaita that the
saguNa brahman is pAramArthika' and that no Advaita Acharya has said
this in his works.  He also said that he had taught Shri Devanathan
one particular work, in relation to a research and that no formal
Advaitic
teaching was given to him.  He said nothing more than that Shri
Devanathan has 'shraddha in Advaita'. //

Over this message of mine, Sri Devanathan contacted me and has
clarified that the opinions he had presented on this forum on the
status of Ishwara are his own and that they do not represent the views
of the Scholar with whom he has had opportunity to study in the past.
I hope the matter rests at this.

This message is only a clarification and not for discussion. .

Regards,
subrahmanian.v