[Advaita-l] vedAnta/upanishad mahAvAkya - a query

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Wed Apr 4 05:35:08 CDT 2012

praNAms
Hare Krishna

Pardon my ignorance.  Whenever I hear the words 'upanishat mahAvAkya' I
would get the doubt, what exactly is this mahAvAkya??  how can we conclude
that  there are ONLY four mahA vAkya-s in the whole cannon of vedAnta??
what are all the special features that determines the  mAhAvakya-s &
distinguishes it from other shruti vAkya-s??  when each & every word in
shAstra denoting the same adviteeya brahman, how can we conclude that
there is ONLY four mahAvAkya-s from all the four veda-s ??  has shankara
specifically said anything about those four mahAvAkya-s & its superior
efficacy in his prasthAna traya bhAshya??  Can an aspirant take initiation
of one of these vAkya-s & repeat it like nAma japa and attain the self
realization without undergoing traditionally prescribed shravaNa, manana
nidhidhyAsana of vedAnta or shAstrA ??  Kindly educate me.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar