[Advaita-l] About 'Death'

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 02:00:24 CDT 2012

Here is a short article with a quite deep thought:

http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-features/tp-openpage/article3267823.ece

Excerpts:

//There is an erroneous misconception that death, like birth, is a single
isolated dramatic event to which a time and date can be ascribed. Death is
actually a *continuous ongoing process* occurring even in the unborn, after
all groups of cells in the foetus are programmed to die (apoptosis).
Different organs die at different times.//

//What, then, is the point of no return? When do we really die? Perceptions
vary.//

I am reminded of what Swami Vidyaranya said in the Panchadashi:

निरुपयितुमारब्धे  **निखिलैरपि पण्डितै: ।
अज्ञानं पुरतस्तेषां भाति कक्ष्यासु कासुचित् ॥ [6.143].

143. Even if all the learned people of the world try to determine the
nature of this world, they will find themselves confronted at some stage or
other by ignorance.

Nothing in the world can be determined in the manner of 'idam ittham'.

We see in the above article the medical scientist endorsing this truth
about the anirvAchyatvam of the things of the world.

subrahmanian.v