[Advaita-l] Pitrupaksha questions

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Wed Sep 28 00:15:22 CDT 2011

On Tue, 27 Sep 2011, Srikanta Narayanaswami wrote:

> If you want to stick to karmas be it.That shows that you have not even
> started on the path.Perform them like an entertainment.I am sure you
> will enjoy it.There is no pratyavaya dosha as Shankara has said.You are
> a mundana mishra and not mandana mishra. HH Chandrasekhara Bharathi is a
> mahatma and more than a Jivanmuktha.You donot know much about him You
> know only what your "Garus'have said about him.I am living nearer to
> sringeri,I know much about him.

If you do not know that all the Shringeri acharyas have repeatedly called
on their followers to be diligent in the practice of deva and pitr karya
you are either blind or a liar.

Here is a relevant  excerpt from the book Exalting Elucidations which
contains discourses of Swami Abhinavavidyatirtha.  (pp. 307-308)

Disciple: Is a GYAnin beyond virtue and sin?

Abhinavavidyatirtha: Yes.

D:  Then, since no merit or sin is acquired by a GYAnin, will he conduct
himself in any manner whatsoever?

A: A GYAnin will not do so normally.  His mind should have been extremely
pure  prior to his attaining GYAna.  This purity remains even after the
dawn of knowledge.  A GYAnin is an ideal for others.  sureshvarAchArya has
observed, "if a GYAnin were to act in an unregulated fashion, then what is
the difference between him and a dog, which consumes even what is unclean?"

D: Should the shrAddha of a GYAnin be performed after he dies?