[Advaita-l] ata eva paSavah

Siva Senani Nori sivasenani at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 24 12:38:14 CDT 2011

Subrahmanian mahodaya

I half agree with you, specifically with the part: "I think a blade of grass is indicated by the word 'tRNam' "; but beg to differ on the other part, namely: "and not 'tRnaH'"

For support, I quote Panini, II.4.31: ardharcaah pumsi ca.
English vritti given by Ram Nath Sharma: "Items enumerated in the list headed by ardharca 'half a hymn' are  both neuter and masculine in gender"
English translation of S C Vasu: "The words 'ardharca' &c. are spoken of in masculine and neuter."

There is a gana called 'ardharcaadi gana' given in the ganapaaTha. There amongst many words, triNa occurs. The previous two and the latter two words are in this order: valaya, kusuma, triNa, pa~Nka, kuNDala.

Having said that, I agree that a complete explanation of the exchange should include the mention of usage in neuter. Thanks for pointing out the same.

Regards
Senani