[Advaita-l] Apaurusheyatva of Vedas

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 23 09:29:09 CDT 2011

> As said earlier, the exhalation of Ishwara not only contains mere veda-s
> but also itihAsa, purAna, vyAkaraNa, jyOtisha etc. If we take
> nishvAsitaM is the only pramANa to prove apaurusheyatva then we have to
> say along with veda-s whatever text mentioned in that exhalation is also
> aparusheya. But that is not the case here. apaurusheyatvaM has been
> exclusively attributed to ONLY veda-s and we treat itihAsa, purANAdi-s as
> paurusheya grantha-s.

Please re-read
http://lists.advaita-vedanta.org/archives/advaita-l/2011-September/028886.html

I think an additional clarification is required from me at this stage, regarding the
bRhadAraNyaka quote in question. In the SAnkara bhAshya, all the references
are identified as sections within the broader corpus of texts known as the veda.
I would suggest a good and detailed reading of the commentary there, to get
a better understanding for how this informs the prAmANya of the veda for the
advaita vedAnta tradition.

Now, pUrva mImAMsaka-s and vedAntins of the non-advaita variety may choose
to put different meanings on the terms beginning from itihAsa-purANa to anu-
vyAkhyAnAni and vyAkhyAnAni. My earlier statement in the link quoted above
were keeping this broader picture in mind; my point being that even if someone
were to understand itihAsa, purANa, sUtra etc differently (from how Sankara
bhagavatpAda explains it), the apaurusheyatva of veda and paurusheyatva of
the other texts should still remain unaffected.

Regards,
Vidyasankar