[Advaita-l] cakra-s in patanjali yoga

Kathirasan K brahmasatyam at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 01:53:19 CDT 2011

Namaste,

Kundalini Yoga traces its root from another source called the
Tantras/Agamas. Although we find passing references in the Upanishads, the
early Kundalini Yoga texts, which were mostly Hatha Yoga texts, were largely
of a different character. These texts are more esoteric when compared to
Patanjali's Yoga sutras (PYS). None of the early acaryas of the Hatha Yoga
tradition have quoted the PYS as authority in their texts. I have only
encountered two texts which are the Thirumanthiram (a tamil shaiva text) and
a Hatha Yoga Pradipika commentary called Jyotsna that have attempted to
synthesise the Kundalini Yoga of the Tantras and the Patanjali Yoga of the
Vedas. Interestingly the Thirumanthiram acknowledges that these are
different traditions but NOT antagonistic towards one another.

Kathirasan

On 20 September 2011 01:35, Vidyasankar Sundaresan <svidyasankar at hotmail.com