[Advaita-l] cakra-s in patanjali yoga

Shrinivas Gadkari sgadkari2001 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 20 00:53:09 CDT 2011

However, what many find problematic is that all yoga is
a means to unite prakRti with purusha and that it is
accomplished through raising the kuNDalinI from the mUlAdhAra
to sahasrAra. In all the centuries of yoga and sAMkhya
tradition, the emphasis has been that purusha and prakRti
are two irreducible and separate principles. Liberation is
in the purusha realizing this fact and standing separate
from being mixed up with prakRti (kaivalya). As such, it
is completely novel, to say that yoga attempts to unite
the two!

Regards,
Vidyasankar

Namaste,

I personally do not have any experience of kuNDalinI
rising and reaching sahasAra, hence cannot comment on
how accurate such type of descriptions are.

What seems certain is:
1. cakra-s exit in our prANamaya body.
2. Normally, one is unaware of their existence and
   functioning. May be, this absence of awareness
   of the cakra system, itself, is referred to
   as "kuNDalinI is sleeping".
3. Some specific citta vRtti-s activate specific
   cakra-s. In these instants, one may become
   aware of the cakra system. It is likely that,
   this stirring of our awareness about the cakra
   system, itself, is referred to as "kuNDalinI
   waking up".
4. Once we become aware of mapping between cakra-s
   and citta vRtti-s, cakra system can become a
   very valuable tool for "citta vRtti nirodha".

This limited application of kuNDalinI yoga, if at
all we can call the description above kuNDalinI
yoga, in my opinion, is not against the spirit of
yoga sUtra-s.

hari om.

Comments/ corrections from people with more experience
of cakra-s are most welcome. If some advanced shrIvidyA
upAsaka-s could also comment on this topic, it will be
most helpful.

Regards,
Shrinivas