[Advaita-l] Why Shankara?

subhanu saxena subhanu at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 16 11:06:10 CDT 2011

S Jayanarayan wrote

"Namaste.

I don't have the book "The Method of the Vedanta" by Alston with me, but I remember reading about a set of reasons as to why Sankara's commentaries are to be taken as the "right" interpretation of Vedanta. For example, one of the reasons is "Because Sankara's commentaries are the oldest available" or words to that effect.

Can someone please direct me to where this section of the book (barely 3-4 pages) may be available online?"

It is available on pages  24 and 25 of the google books link, section II

http://books.google.ch/books?id=ZMkbWhjE2M4C&pg=PA548&lpg=PA548&dq=method+of+the+vedanta&source=bl&ots=gjkVZEK8ob&sig=QQhM8MZdaTMYOiwkIc_afihZ8x8&hl=en&ei=fXNzTrKsFo6P4gSogqG6DQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBwQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

Regards
Subhanu