[Advaita-l] Apaurusheyatva of Vedas

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Fri Sep 16 06:56:43 CDT 2011

praNAms
Hare Krishna

For  His creation of the Vedas without effort there is cited Scripture
“Asya
Mahato BhUtasya (Br.Up 2.4.10)”

>  without effort lord exhaled not only veda but also somany other things
including purANa & itihAsa. Same maNtra says about this and complete
maNtra has been given by Sri Vidya prabhuji.

Even by those who recognize the Eternality of letters (Mimamsakas) the
non-eternality of words and
sentences must be admitted. A word is indeed composed of letters
differentiated by sequence. A sentence is similarly composed of words
sequentially arranged and differentiated. Letters themselves are eternal
 and can have no temporospatial relationship –

>  I am not able to get the intent of this purport, is he talking about
ekAkshara praNAva as eternal or all the letters of veda maNtra-s ??

but not so in the case of  words, as they are defined by sequence, which
latter is a property of
manifestation, and hence non-eternal. And similar it is for sentences
also.

>  again, lost track!!  does bhAmatikAra mean to say exhaled or Ishwara's
created mantra-s are sequentially arranged & differentiated in a
particular order but prior to that veda maNtras' eternal letters were
haphazardly arranged??

The Jaimaniyas – who do not believe in a creation or destruction – teach a
beginning-less and
uninterrupted transmission of the VedA like ourselves. BUT those in the
tradition of VyAsA,

> vyAsa's tradition is different from bhAmatikAra's tradition??  But dont
we recognize vyAsa in our saMpradAya??  or is this vyAsa somebody else??
not clear pls. clarify.

hold that though, according to the doctrine of
creation and destruction, established in the Scriptures (Shruti, Smrti),
 the Supreme Self, due to His association with beginning-less avidyA,

>  Is it vyAsa's tradition identifies avidyA with supreme brahman for
creation & destruction??

 is omnipotent and omniscient, is the Creator of the VedAs, but is not
entirely independent in respect to them, as He has to faithfully
reproduce their sequence in such manner as to conform to the earlier
ones….The Jaimaniyas too prefer to interpret apauruseyatva as
signifiying the absence of freedom for the One who creates..and this
matches with our interpretation as well albeit for a different reason.

>  Kindly pardon me what is that different reason not clear to me..pls.
elaborate.

That alone is worthy of faith when revealed by him, who possesses true
knowledge and is free from all defects, even though he is but one.

>  What is the difference between this stand and that of nyAya??  The only
difference as I could see is absence of freedom while exhaling the veda-s
& he has to act according to who??  which guidelines he would follow??
Moreover, this stand (i.e. Ishwara is veda karta)does not escape
anyOnyAshraya dOsha..veda-s cannot be taken as to be the word of Ishwara
before the existence of Ishwara is itself established is it not??  And if
we say the veda-s are the pramANa to establish the Ishwara then it would
be an argument within the circle of anyOnyAshraya dOsha.  How to get rid
of this problem to prove Ishwara's regulated exhalation of veda-s? Please
clarify.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar