[Advaita-l] Apaurusheyatva of Veda

Omkar Deshpande omkar_deshpande at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 13 08:49:20 CDT 2011

<<<As long as we have 2000 years old evidence, we are not going to accept anything older than it existed. This is rigidness and not logic.
And philological evidences were never out of doubt-area. Same is the case of evolution theory. Search of internet about both will lead to many results.
Moreover, evolution theory is difficult to prove. It's mere a different belief system for most of us. >>>

I won't make this into a debate on evolutionary theory with those who don't accept it, but I got your stance on it from the above.

<<<So, for those who have faith in evolution theory, there is no Ishvara, no anAdi and apauruSheya veda. So, trying to mix two different systems will take you nowhere.>>>

"For those who have faith in evolutionary theory, there is no Ishvara" is not true. There are many theists who are evolutionists. But I agree that it's a challenge to reconcile it with literal acceptance of Puranas which talk in detail about the traditional Yuga cycle view of life on earth.

Mixing the two systems, as difficult as the challenge may be, appears to me to be the only way to follow the Vedic teachings without dismissing modern science. Rejecting the entirety of Vedas just because of disagreement on apauruSheyatva/literal acceptance of Yuga cycles would be an extreme step, and rejecting the idea of common descent with all the scientific evidence in favor it is also not an option for those who have gone into that subject in some detail,

Regards,

Omkar