[Advaita-l] Apaurusheyatva of Vedas.

kuntimaddi sadananda kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 13 08:25:39 CDT 2011

Shree Ramakrishna PraNAms

There is a difference between pratyaksha and shabda.

Pratyaksha is direct and immediate - there is no shraddhaa involved there other than the fact that what I see is what is there. This is part of transactional knowledge in the sense that jnaanedriyas which provide the attributive knowledge of the object out there, is confirmed by the karmendriyas involving transacting with the object that is perceived. The objects are transactionally real as much as perceptually real. That is part of vyaavahaarika satyam. Here we are excluding hallucinations of the mind or bhrama where the knowledge is not based on jnaanedriyas. The errors in perception have been discussed elaborately in the Vedanta paribhaasha. These bhramaas come under praatibhaasika not vyaavahaarika satyam. The distinction should be understood between prama and bhrama.

Shabda points out the pramA via the words of aapta vaakyam which I take it as pramaa not by any transactions but by mere word of the mouth of the speaker. The example of reporter on TV I gave illustrates the fact. The propaganda missions are successful only because of what the listeners hear is believed to be true.

anumaana depends on pratyaksha for validation in terms of vyaapti – here there is no faith involved since vyaapti establishes the basis for validation.

Shabda is pure faith in the words of the trust worthy. Its subsequent confirmation or non-confirmation would only establish the trust worthiness or non-trustworthiness of the speaker. Vedanta with jiivan muktas establishing the trustworthiness of the teaching. In that sense advaita doctrine stands tall since liberation is possible right here and right now, not after death confirmation that liberation is possible while living here is a refressing faith.

However I still maintain that a statement by Y that some X has realized is statement of faith of Y about X. There is no validation of the statement other than a statement of X itself which again has to be accepted as word of faith.

Let us take example Bhagavan Raman maharshi – Let ask a question - Is he realized (no affence is intended for those who are disciples of Bhagavan Ramana- I have taught Bhagavan Ramana maharshis texts too) – That he has realized - Is it a statement of fact or is it a statement of faith. To me what he teaches is what is taught in Vedanta - the same with respect to Nisarga datta maharaj since Vedanta is accepted as pramANa. Therefore my faith in him that he has realized - and from then on it is of least importance to me whether he is not not since answer to the question has no consequence. Now I am taking not the statements of some of his disciples that he has realzied but conformation of the Vedanta as pramANa for the validation too. Ultimately it is my faith that he has realized helps me to follow his teachings. If some disciples of Bhagavan Ramana say - all you have to do is inquire who am I and there is no need to study the scriptures, then I
 say their understanding of Bhagavan Ramana is wrong, since who am I inquire at the most gives the tvam padaartham and the equation involves the understanding of tat and the identity of the two. For that vedanta alone is pramANa.

Hence, in that sense I accept all scriptures in as much as they agree with Vedanta, but discard or reject those that deviates from Vedanta – why?  Vedanta is accepted as pramANa not because it is apourusheyam as for as I am concerned, but it reveals the truth that is confirmed again and again by the sages of the yore and also logical and self-consistent. Here I am using logic in the sense applicable within the realm of Vedanta.

In answer to your post, the validity of pratyaksha is not based faith in the sense of the word used for aapta vaakyam in the shabda pramANa. Pratyaksham is vyaavahaarika satyam. Vedanta points not about vyaavahaarika but paaramaarthika where no validation is possible until one realizes himself – for that full faith in the words of Vedanta is required. Hence faith comes first before validation. I hope I am clear.
Hari Om!
Sadananda

Hari Om!
Sadananda