[Advaita-l] Apaurusheyatva of Vedas.

Ramakrishna Upadrasta uramakrishna at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 06:14:51 CDT 2011

praNAms Shri Sadananda-ji,

What I think Shri LalitalalitaH is saying is that the use of word
shraddha for verbal testimony is either redundant (because such a
presence of shraddha is needed for all pramaaNA) or leads to regress.

Swami Satprakashananda-ji's book also seems to be saying exactly what
Shri LalitalalitaH is saying. For accepting a verbal testimony, the
additional clause of shraddha is not necessary, unless it is needed
for all means of knowledge. This is because "validity of knowledge is
intrinsic", while its invalidity is extrinsic [1].

Perhaps there are a couple of shraddha-s which you are talking about:

1. shraddha to accept any verbal testimony
2. shraddha to accept a verbal testimony from vedas.
3.  shraddha to accept the verbal testimony from vedas impliying the
jIva-bhahma-aikyaM.

For 1, the qualifier is not needed. Shri LalitalaalitaH is saying this.
For 2 is it needed for any mumuxus that accept pUrva-mImAMsa's
epistemology (all of us vedantins). One of the mails of Shri Omkar,
when he is asking about svataH pramaaNa is questioning this.
For 3, it is of course needed for advaitins from the famous
viveka-chUDAmaNi verse (all the advaita vedantins among us).

namaste
Ramakrishna

[1] Maybe the qualifier that is needed here that accepting truth
propositions for all pramA is inherent to human beings (and perhaps
even to the machine models we build).