[Advaita-l] Apaurusheyatva of Veda

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Tue Sep 13 04:00:44 CDT 2011

When it is understood this way, it is not very difficult to see that the
content of the mahAvAkya necessarily has to be "transcendental knowledge"
in
the sense that it cannot be a first time discovery by somebody. It is only
in this sense that advaita-vedAnta accepts the concept of veda
apauruSheyatva.

praNAms
Hare Krishna

If we understand that 'transcedental knowledge' cannot be worded, then it
is easy for us to think twice before sticking the tag of aparusheyatva to
veda-s.  My questions are :

(a)  Do we really need the label 'aparusheya' to veda-s to do our sAdhana
& reap the benefit based on vedic teachings & injunctions ??

(b)  Are we not happily & comfortably treating the paurusheya texts like
geeta & sUtra as valid pramANa as veda-s??

(c)  Do we have any reservations with regard to smruti texts just because
it is authored by some one!!??

(d)  If not, then why this logically unjustifiable claim of apaurusheyatva
especially to veda-s??

(e)  Are we, the saMpradAyavAdi-s,  under the impression that veda-s do
not serve their purpose unless & until it carries 'aparusheyatva' tag??

(f)  What exactly is the problem if we accept that veda-s are the
revelation of eternal & ever existing truth through words by  some pure &
perfect rishi-s at different point of time, the same has been documented
haphazardly  & later on vyAsa arranged it systematically for the benefit
of future sAdhaka-s in veda mArga ??

(g) Are we not wholeheartedly accepting the smruti texts like geeta vAni
as deva/Ishwara vAni ??

(h)  Without finding any human errors in these texts are we not even
recommending it as pramANa grantha for mOksha sAdhana for the
non-vedAdhikAri-s??

(i)  Finally,  I am not able to understand what is going to fall on our
head if we say tattvamasi, ahaM brahmAsmi ityAdi mAhAvAkya-s are the
'worded' revelation of some mahAjnAni-s just like vAmadeva's findings ahaM
manu, ahaM sUrya etc.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar