[Advaita-l] Apaurusheyatva of Vedas.

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Mon Sep 12 01:13:45 CDT 2011

On Fri, 9 Sep 2011, Omkar Deshpande wrote:

> Doesn't this claim (of there being multiple seers who saw the same
> mantras) itself require faith,

No more than the claim "The Republic of India became independant in 1947"
requires faith.  I wasn't there.  It could all be a big lie but
trustworthy people say they were there and confirm it.

> not that different from the claims of the
> Buddha or Mahavira having some special vision?

Neither one actually denies the rshis saw the mantras.  They just deny its
significance.

> How does logic and
> objective data show the above?

Historically we can see the Vedic tradition has been unbroken and the
texts are preserved in a remarkably pristine state.  So barring specific
instances where a breach is suspected, we can trust the parampara.