[Advaita-l] Fwd: Difference Between Sankya and Advaita!

Ravisankar Mayavaram abhayambika at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 13:31:08 CDT 2011

On Sat, Sep 10, 2011 at 8:55 PM, Sunil Bhattacharjya
<sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Dear friends,
>
> Ishvara is the Para-Prakriti and is also the Apara- Brahman ans his vachaka is OM.  Prakriti is the Yoni of Ishvara (remember mama yoni Mahadbrahma) and Prakriti alone creates or pedagogically one can say that Prakriti is the instrument for creation or one  can also say that Prakriti creates to fuilfil the desire of Ishvara to be many. With Ishvara-pranidhana or Bhakti the vibhakta (divided or separated)  beings become avibhakata (undivided or be whole or united) with the Ishvara. Thus I maintain that Yoga mean the same thing as what yoga also means etymologically. So etymological meaning of Yoga is not wrong. Yoga can never mean viyoga, howevermuch some people may try to interpret. It may for that reason the that Nirukta is one of the Vedangas and one must know that first before reading the Vedic literature.
>

> Regards,
>
> Sunil K. Bhattacharjya

The root yuj has meanings - in the context of yoga darshana it does
not mean union/unite. It is taken as to contemplate/meditate implying
samaadhi as defined in suutra I-2. This is also discussed in sarva
darshana sangraha.  In addition, in yoga puruSha and prakRti are
separate ontological categories. Liberation is described as kaivalya
-that is the puruSha standing alone (kevala). Goal of yoga darshana is
to achieve this kaivalyam and the guNas having no purpose to serve go
back to that state for that puruSha (IV-34).  Yoga darshana, similar
to sAnkhya has multiple puruSha-s and it is dualistic.

Ravi