[Advaita-l] Apaurusheyatva of Vedas.

Srikanta Narayanaswami srikanta.narayanaswami at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 5 03:11:13 CDT 2011

The following is my argument for apaurushey​atva of veda. Pl. correct me if
it is wrong. If vedas are apaurusheya, they should exist independent of any
purusha or person. That is they have to exist as an entity in their own
right with the same words and meter. Such an independent existence can be
proved only if two persons removed in space and time discover the same
mantra. Indological research shows that over 60 generations of 423 rishis
have discovered many common mantras. This is very different and unique in
human history. There are many instances of two or more people coming up with
similar ideas (e.g.  calculus by Newton and Leibnitz) but they are not
exactly the same in form and content. On the  other hand, some of the Veda
mantras discovered by different rishis are exactly the same to the meter.
The same yardstick that is applied to mundane matters cannot be applied to Vedas..The discovery of a scientist can be verified.In science and mathematics they are mere formulations.They need not be true.But,the Vedas are the "truth"and they have to be accepted as there is no way of verifying as in Mathematics or science.They are the very breath of "Sarveshvara".It cannot be proved which 'Rishi"cameup with which mantra,since there is no way of verifying them.In the "Upanishads"it is said only about the "Shakha"to which "Rishi"belonged to which "Shakha",like ""Ashvalayana"shakha,or "Pippalada"shakha.
In the beginning the "Vedas"were one huge mass and it is said the "VedaVyasa"only codified them into different
Vedas like,Rigveda,Yajurveda.SamaVeda,and AtharvanaVeda.The various shakhas belonged to one Veda or the Other.The "Upanishads"also belonged to one "shakha"or the other.The "KenaUpanishad belonged to the "Talavakara"shaka of the Samaveda.We find the "Ishavasyopanishath"in the middle of the "Samhita".Infact,this is the only "Upanishad'which is found in the middle of the "Samhita".It has two rescensions,the Kanva and the Madhyandina.We find that there is little difference in the rescensions.There are many shakhas which are lost for the posterity.
N.Srikanta.