[Advaita-l] Scholarly Article on Why Vedas are Valid

Ramesh Krishnamurthy rkmurthy at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 09:45:41 CDT 2011

Namaste Sri Raghav,

On 13 October 2011 17:58, Raghav Kumar <raghavkumar00 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Namaste Ramesh ji
>
> Thank you for your well-written post.
> I understand you to be saying that "although sRShti-dRShti-vAda faces
> some rather aggressive questions from the over-reach of modern
> mainstream science today; still we can pragmatically adopt other
> prakriyA-s like dRShTi-sRShT-vAda  (or ekajIva-vAda) and bypass having
> to answer such involved questions regarding say prANa, manas etc., and
> other such Vedic sUkShma material realities"  - since we only want
> Atyantika duHkha-nivRtti. We don;t really care which color the cat is,
> as long as it catches mice.

**  I am afraid you have totally misunderstood my post. At no point did I
accept your contention that sRShTi dRShTi vAda (SDV) in general faces any
"aggressive questions" from science or any other source. Also, I mentioned
dRShTi sRShTi vAda (DSV) only as a radical example to illustrate the
flexibility inherent in advaita-vedAnta with regard to using various
prakriyA-s in accordance with the needs of the student.

SDV also is not a monolithic method and can be expressed in many different
ways, and so I don't quite agree with the way you characterize SDV.

Anyway, since we have deviated from the topic of validity of the veda to
causation theories in vedAnta, I will respond soon in a separate thread.
This is turning out to be a good discussion :-)

Thanks