[Advaita-l] Scholarly Article on Why Vedas are Valid

Ramesh Krishnamurthy rkmurthy at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 03:26:48 CDT 2011

Namaste Rajaram,

Results of karma, other loka-s, etc are not "axiomatic truths". They are
known from the veda just as (say) the existence of a computer in front of
you is known to you through pratyakSha. I am sure you don't regard the
computer in front of you as an "axiomatic truth" :-)

As Sri Raghav has correctly explained, one does not really "establish" the
pramANatvam of the veda any more than one establishes that the eyes see or
the ears hear.

Many years ago, I had asked one of my AchArya-s "why should we accept the
veda as pramANa", to which first response was "why should we accept the eyes
as pramANa". Of course, we had a long and fruitful discussion after that on
the concepts of svataH prAmANyam and parataH aprAmANyam.

Some of these issues were discussed in other recent threads. It was also
pointed out that shraddhA is not a unique requirement for shabda alone.

Thanks