[Advaita-l] Nitya Karma question

subhanu saxena subhanu at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 2 14:54:05 CDT 2011

Shyam wrote: "Do you know if Sankara talks about what, if any, then is the effect of nonperformance of nitya karmas?" Namaste, there are 3 references I would point you to on this point where we can easily understand that, for the ajnani who still makes the innate error of identifing themselves as an agent endowed with pramAtrtva, non performance of nitya karmas does not create the right conditions in such a person for knowledge to rise. Such  nitya karmas are seen as more remote aids than such as shama and dama, because nitya karmas promote the desire for knowledge wheras shama and dama etc are more directly connected with  knowledge itself: 1) BSB 4.1.18 tasmAt vidyAsamyuktam nityam agnihotrAdi....brahmavidyAyA saha ekakAryam bhavatIti sthitam 2) BSB 3.4.27 tasmAt yajnAdIni shamadamAdIni...iti vivektavyam 3) Naishkarmya Siddhi 1.52. nityakarmAnuSThAnAt dharmottpattih..vimuktashcha vimuchyate. In this important section Suresvara provides the simple cause and effect relationship of how performing nitya karmas create clarity of mind to see the world for what it is, leading for a quest for the eternal over the transient, whereby the seeker questions their own pramatratva nature and makes the all important paradigm shift to introspect and turn the eye within, so that when the conditions have been created, simply hearing Sruti statements such as tat tvam asi leads to immediate eradication of ignorance forever, resting in ones true state.  It is important to not lose sight of the point that the teachings are directed at us ajnAnis who continue to make the false identification with ourselves as agents/ doers seeking fruit and results from our actions. For the highest aspirants merely hearing the sruti statements such as tat tvam asi are enough to remind them of their true nature and eradicate their ignorance forever Regards Subhanu