[Advaita-l] Pitrupaksha questions

Shyam shyam_md at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 2 09:45:16 CDT 2011

Pranams
Thank you for your response.
My question to you was - according to Sankara - what if any, is the effect of nonperformance of nityakarmas.

Sifting your through your response I was able to pick up "hence nonperformance of nitya karmas cannot produce ANY phala. Hence they need not be performed."

Such a view is incorrect and a reading of the relevant section of the Taittiriya Up bhashya, where this parrticular topic is treated at great length, may help you understand why.

Which brings me to my subsequent question:
Based on Shankara's views "can a grhastha continue in that ahsrama and discharge his duties towards his family - earn a livelihood, own a house, have a bankbalance - with the abiding nishta of Oneness in Brahman, and avoid nitya/naimittika karmas as they serve him no end, and since mentally he is akarta?"

Hari OM
Shyam