[Advaita-l] vedic yajna

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 27 00:46:20 CST 2011

Namaste,

Adi Sankaracharya was a great person and he could have realised that the recommendation for eating veal (calf-meat) and not just any cow's meat, by a pregnant woman was only for a very specific purpose and that had merit only for that special case. Mastering the four Vedas is a super humanly task. Not only the six Vedangas have to be mastered before that, the fifth veda (consisting of all the 18 puranas, 18 upa-puranas and the two epics) is also to be mastered before one could really understand the four Vedas in totality.  It is for this reason that Vedavyasa separated the four Vedas, towards the end of the Dwapara yuga, so that thereafter one would not necessarily have to study all the Vedas. So also as a corollary the custom of taking Veal by a pregnant woman became practically redundant. It is also possible that goat-meat was not considered suitable for that specific purpose.

Being a Hindu the beef-eating is a no no for me, yet from the books I gathered that nutritionally speaking veal is fantastic. Unlike other meat it is a white  meat, easy to digest and is lean. The protein in it is of Qua structure, a lot like human protein and thus it is easily assimilated. Apart from Protein it is loaded with Zinc, Niacin, Magnesium, Vitamin B12. The ancient wisdom recommended that to be an ideal food item for the brain development of a child, who in future would master the four Vedas. Why at all have we to try to generalize this exceptional case? Probably apart from the consecration of the Veal-meat to Lord Vishnu in his Mrigendra roopa one had  no other ritual to perform for this act, in those days.

Regards,

Sunil KB