[Advaita-l] vedic yajna

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 26 12:48:59 CST 2011

> Question- Do you say we have to use Bull meat in Kali Yuga? If Yes you
> are in contradiction to Smruti and Sistachara. If Adi Sankara said

This question only arises for one who has the desire to do this particular
rite. I don't, so it is immaterial for me. If someone has the desire to do it,
he must consult his family purohita and/or other SishTa-s and follow their
advice. End of the matter. The trouble comes when you apply your limited
understanding of general rules to specific cases where they don't apply.
If nothing else, the SAnkara-bhAshya proves that well into kaliyuga, he
did not talk of an exception to or modification of the rule described in the
upanishad reference.

We are not talking of mAMsa to feed brAhmaNa-s in a SrAddha or for
madhuparka to honor a guest. For these instances, yes, there are smRti
texts that describe the older practice and modify it for our circumstances.
I have not seen such for this particular rite and you haven't provided one
yet, in all your numerous posts on this topic.

On the other hand, if you overlook the proper methods of interpretation
and apply your generalizations, to claim that SankarAcArya's explanation
should be set aside, and further claim that this is because he was only a
saMnyAsin and not a ritualist, then you are overstepping all SishTAcAra
at the very root and claiming for yourself a superior interpretation to the
bhAshya, without justification. Are you of the view that SankarAcArya was
not aware of the smRti texts and SishTAcAra that you cite?

Regards,
Vidyasankar