[Advaita-l] vedic yajna

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 25 22:43:11 CST 2011

> Namaste
>
> I thank you for hitting below the belt but Sri V Subrahmanian had a
> comment. I am not able to see it.

I was not hitting below the belt at all. I have a perfectly legitimate question,
given your comment that SankarAcArya's interpretation of the upanishad
quotation is to be questioned for possible lack of personal experience. And
you also questioned the value of his having possibly relied on others with
respect to ritual matters. And you have made an unsubstantiated comment
about a substitution of goat instead of bull in kaliyuga for this particular rite.

On top of it all, you brought in other references from yajurveda, and made
grandiose comments about theory vs. practice, implying that you have a
broader picture of the entirety of the veda in your mind than SankarAcArya
could have had. So, to reiterate, my question to you about whether you
have the personal experience that SankarAcArya presumably lacked was
absolutely not hitting below the belt. And if you rely on what others tell you,
then clearly, on this list, we would be better served by disregarding that
and instead taking seriously what SankarAcArya says, even if we grant that
he only relied on the testimony of other ritual experts for these matters.

Vidyasankar